If you’re considering abortion, think about these things:
- Is the fetus literally a baby?
-Is this what God wants?
-Is there another way?
Is the fetus literally a baby?
Yes! Psalm 139 shows how God sees every person from the time we’re in the womb.
Here’s another way to think of it. A baby born at 34 weeks is just as much a baby (person) as the ones born at 40+ weeks. So, a baby in the womb is as valuable as a baby outside the womb, and has as much value as anyone else.
This is an explanation, copied from Focus on the Family:
We all agree that toddlers are valuable human beings with rights. Yet the unborn differ from toddlers in only four ways, and the first letters of each of these differences spell an easy-to-remember acronym, SLED:
Level of Development
Degree of Dependency.
- The unborn is smaller than the toddler, but toddlers are smaller than adults.
- The unborn is less developed than the toddler, but toddlers are less developed than elementary school kids.
- The unborn is in a different location than the toddler, but toddlers can change environments without changing their value.
- Finally, the unborn is more dependent than a toddler, but toddlers are more dependent than adolescents (even if some parents would deny this). And many other born people depend on medications, caregivers, and spacesuits to sustain their lives. They are more dependent than those who don’t need these things.
Who decides when a fetus/baby becomes a person? How can we ever know where to draw the line? One abortionist said “we just don’t know.” I say, leave it up to God who creates life!
Is this what God wants?
God says not to kill. Be resolved to follow His way, no matter what!
Be resolved even when you’re afraid. As Patricia Sandoval points out, abortion is based on fear. There is fear about finances, or rejection by family, or missing out on life. God doesn’t want us living in fear. This life is short, and every choice we make has an impact on eternity.
Trust God, yes. Even more than that, surrender.
“He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.” — Matthew 10:39
“For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.” — 1 Corinthians 6:20
“For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age, looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from every lawless deed and purify for Himself His own special people, zealous for good works.” — Titus 2:11–14
Is there another way?
Most abortions are because of finances, life plans, relationships, etc.
If you need financial help, contact impregnant.org, where they can point you to the resources you need.
One alternative is adoption. I don’t want to say “just choose adoption” because it’s very difficult for a mother to give up her baby especially after birth. As difficult as it is emotionally, still be resolved to do God’s will, choosing life for your baby.
If your life is at risk, that is a very difficult decision and the best advice I can give is seek God with all your heart, asking Him what to do. We don’t always see answers right away, but don’t give up, because God does answer when we keep seeking Him!
(1) This unborn baby is a living person, as much as a 1 year old toddler.
(2) God’s will is what really matters.
(3) There are other solutions. Pray deeply for God’s will until He answers.