Forming a Biblical Worldview
If you’re a new believer, it’s essential to build a worldview that is based on God’s perspective. Here’s a list of the things I believe are the most important, based on the Bible.
1. What is God like?
- He is the Creator, the source of life, the only God.
“Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, The Creator of the ends of the earth, neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable.” — Isaiah 40:28
“I am the First and I am the Last; besides Me there is no God.” — Isaiah 44:6b
- He is a Spirit.
“God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.” — John 4:24
- He has a Son Jesus, who is also called the image of God and the Word of God.
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. … And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.” — John 1:1,14
- He sent Jesus to save us.
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” — John 3:16
- He is all-powerful. (All people, angels, and everything/everyone else only have borrowed power.)
“Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.”- Matthew 28:18
“Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers [government]. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.”- Romans 13:1
- He is loving (and the source of love!).
“And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.” — 1 John 4:16
Here is a FULL list of what God says about Himself throughout the Bible: http://whoisthelord.com/
2. What does God say about people?
- We are created in His image (I believe mentally/spiritually, since God is not physical).
“So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.” — Genesis 1:27
- We have all sinned/done wrong.
“All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” — Romans 3:23
- We have the gift of eternal life through Jesus, if we believe Him.
“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” — Romans 3:23
3. What does God say about suffering?
- Suffering and death exist because there is sin in the world. (whole chapter Romans 5)
- In some cases, suffering is for us to be refined to be like Jesus, and partake in His glory forever. “..Heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us. … For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.”— Romans 8:17–18, 29
- God works all things for good to those who love Him, and nothing can separate us from His love! “We know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. … For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”— Romans 8:28–39
- There will be no suffering in heaven. “God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”— Revelation 21:4
4. What is God’s will for us to do?
- First we believe Jesus as Savior.
“This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.” — John 6:27
- We do everything in love for God and others.
“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” — Matthew 22:37–39
“Let all that you do be done with love.” — 1 Corinthians 16:14
- We live morally pure.
“For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you should abstain from sexual immorality” — 1 Thessalonians 4:3
“Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.” — James 1:27
- We gain eternal rewards by serving and giving to others.
“For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me. Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You? And the King will answer and say to them, Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.” — Matthew 25:35–40
- We value all human life, and believe life starts at conception.
“For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.” — Psalm 139:13
- We value marriage as created by God — one man and one woman, for life.
Jesus said, “Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning ‘made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’? So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.” — Matthew 19:4–6
Here is a great tool for learning more about worldview: https://www.summit.org/individual-worldview-checkup/